There is a good chance somebody has inquired about your “Big Three Astrology.” or Big 3 Astrology. In astrological jargon, this expression refers to your sun, moon, and rising sign, also known as the ascendant. The sign of the sun is symbolic of our ego, and the impulses that drive us, the moon’s sign represents our emotional makeup, and the sign of the rising sign describes the energy that we send out into the world.
What Does “Big Three” Mean in Astrology?
When it comes to astrology, there are many distinct schools of thought, but the “big three” are among the most well-known.
The Sun sign, Moon sign, and Ascendant are the three most crucial aspects of a person’s chart that are the subject of the “big three” technique of astrological analysis.
Astrologers can gain a comprehensive understanding of a person by examining all three of these variables together, as each one of them indicates a different facet of their personality.
Perhaps the most well-known aspect of astrology is the Sun sign. It symbolizes a person’s fundamental personality and traits and can provide insight into how they approach life.
In contrast to the Ascendant or rising sign, which reflects a person’s consciousness, the Moon sign depicts a person’s feelings and innermost thoughts.
The Ascendant or rising sign symbolizes a person’s external appearance and how they are perceived by others, but the Moon sign indicates a person’s emotions and innermost thoughts. These three elements work in tandem to give astrologers a plethora of knowledge about a person.
However, for many individuals, these three aspects are the key to understanding both their own and other people’s personalities. Of course, there is much more to astrology than simply the main three.
What are the big 3 in astrology?
If you’re interested in learning more about yourself or others, consider looking into the big three!
Like the sun, your being radiates warmth and light. The most important component of who you are is what you display to the outside world. It stands for the vital force that pushes you to find the truest and most sincere expression of who you are as a person. Your zodiac sun sign provides insight into your personality, how you respond to life’s challenges, and how you express your uniqueness.
You notice that you are thinking about these things during your meditation practice. It also symbolizes the energy necessary for you to have a sensation of renewal. If you want to understand how you prefer to express yourself and recover from difficult situations, learning the element related to your sun sign can be helpful.
Find your birth date below to determine your sun sign:
- Aries (March 21 – April 19)
- Taurus (April 20 – May 20)
- Gemini (May 21 – June 20)
- Cancer (June 21 – July 22)
- Leo (July 23 – August )
- Virgo (August 23 – September 22)
- Libra (September 23 – October 22)
- Scorpio (October 23 – November 21)
- Sagittarius (November 22 – December 21)
- Capricorn (December 22 – January 19)
- Aquarius (January 20 – February 18)
- Pisces (February 19 – March 20)
If your Sun Sign is an…
- Air Sign – If you were born under Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius, you have a passion for intellectual self-expression and frequently find that you recharge in social settings. What about getting in shape with a bunch of your friends?
- Fire Sign – If you were born under Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius, you get your drive from inspirations and aspirations. Refuel yourself by engaging in physical activity (like a virtual workout) and working toward your objectives.
- Earth Sign – If you were born under Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn, you are driven by the desire to satisfy your material demands and be as practical as possible. You get your energy back by engaging with the physical world, being productive, and indulging your senses.
- Water Sign – If you were born under Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces, you are driven by profoundly felt desires and seek replenishment through emotional experiences (you might find that practicing mindfulness and meditation helps) and close personal connections with other people.
The essence of who you are and what drives you are symbolized by the moon. Your subconscious is the part of you that you usually repress and ignore, and it’s also the part of you that drives your emotional reactions. Your moon sign influences how sensitive you are to emotions such as pleasure and pain, happiness and sorrow, as well as how you prefer to take care of and replenish yourself.
Your overall level of happiness will almost certainly change as a direct result of utilizing these strategies. The Moon is the hub at which your little universe revolves. To give just one illustration, knowing the element that corresponds to one’s moon sign can be beneficial in gaining insight into one’s internal environment and the typical responses one has when confronted with trying emotional circumstances.
If your Moon Sign is an…
- Air Sign – If you were born under the sign of Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius, your response to shifting circumstances is marked by discernment and objective judgment. When you let your ideas out into the world and engage in conversation with others, you have the most profound sense of connection to your true self.
- Fire Sign – If you were born under Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius, you respond to new experiences by taking decisive action and getting excited. When you exude confidence, eliminate negative self-talk, and demonstrate strength, you will experience the most significant degree of alignment with your true self.
- Earth Sign – If you were born under the sign of Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn, you have a steady and stable reaction to changing circumstances. A strong core can help with that. When you are being productive and progressing toward a goal, you experience the most significant degree of alignment with your inner world.
- Water Sign – If you were born under the sign of Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces, you respond to new experiences with sensitivity and feeling. When your feelings are involved to a significant degree, you experience the greatest degree of alignment with your true self. However, don’t forget to put your love for yourself first!
Your Ascendant, sometimes referred to as your Rising Sign, symbolizes your social identity. When you were born with your zodiac sign on the Eastern horizon, it has to do with how you present yourself to other people. Your rising sign is a representation of your physical appearance and how you carry yourself in public.
You can ascertain whether the harmony between your seven dimensions is present by imagining your inner and outer worlds. For instance, knowing the element associated with your rising sign may help you better comprehend the type of energy that stimulates both your physical body and your attitude on life as a whole. We usually put on a mask that portrays our persona when we meet new people.
The best way to think of it is as an automatic reaction to one’s surroundings. Furthermore, the ascendant displays our natural defenses and how we deal with day-to-day obstacles. Furthermore, the energy and situations linked with the ascendant sign are most visible to others.
If your Rising Sign is an…
- Air Sign – If you were born under Gemini, Libra, or Aquarius, you are cognitively agile, pleasant, and curious, and you prefer to express yourself vocally. You approach life frequently with the need to comprehend the significance of what or who you encounter, and part of achieving this goal involves moving purposefully.
- Fire Sign – If you were born under the sign of Aries, Leo, or Sagittarius, you are direct, self-assured, and focused on taking action. You often possess a great deal of vitality and physical energy, mainly when working hard to make your mark on the world.
- Earth Sign – If you were born under Taurus, Virgo, or Capricorn, you tend to be practical and center your attention on the material world. You tend to have a steady approach to life, which can be a stabilizing influence (especially during times of increased stress) for many other people.
- Water Sign – You are sensitive, empathic, and readily swayed by your surroundings if you were born under the sign of Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces. Know that you frequently have a perspective on life that has its origins firmly planted in your emotional constitution.
How does my rising sign affect my life?
Your rising sign is based on your hour of birth—so you will definitely need an accurate birth time to determine this. This one involves more complex mathematics, but essentially it works like this: Whatever zodiac sign was touching the Eastern horizon when you took your first breath sets your rising sign.
This cycle moves the fastest of all, shifting signs every 2-3 hours and cycling through all twelve in a day. As such, there are identical twins who were born minutes apart and may have completely different ascendants. (That’s not the case for us, but we’ve met some multiples for whom it is.)
Your rising sign is a bit like your storefront window. How do you represent the world? What do you want people to see? The ascendant directs the first impression you make—and also says a lot about who you’ll be instinctively attracted to.
Your body and physical features often correspond with your rising sign, for example, someone with a Scorpio rising may have an intense (and sexy!) gaze while a Leo rising may have a wild mane of hair or a theatrical expression. Learn all about your rising sign and calculate it here.
What if I don’t know my birth time for a birth chart?
Don’t know your birth time? There are a couple of workarounds. You can input noon and have a good chance of getting the correct moon sign, although the rising sign will likely be off. Another option? Get a reading with an astrologer who specializes in rectified charts to intuitively figure it out. With their deep knowledge of the chart’s placements, they will ask you a series of questions to help them position your planets as accurately as possible. You’ll know you’ve got it “right” when it resonates for both of you!